Nanny & Au Pair World Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real offer or fake offer? Am I being scammed?! Please help!

3 posters

Go down

Real offer or fake offer? Am I being scammed?! Please help! Empty Real offer or fake offer? Am I being scammed?! Please help!

Post  ChristinaG Wed 26 Nov 2008, 2:49 am

So, today, I got this long letter from a "Mrs Lindsay" from Scottsdale, USA. I doesn't sound too strange at the beginning, but then she offers me 2000 Dollars every two weeks. Also, first, she says she's called Mrs Lindsay, but her email address is something with "Roberta Clown". I don't know - it seems strange.... Would you help on this? Thanks so much!
Christina

Hello ,
I'm Mrs Lindsay from United State. that was in 822 sw filmore str, scottsdale, AZ, 85257, USA. I'm
35 years old. I'm a Supervisor contractor overall manager. i have been searching for an aupair , Iit was a friend
of mine got your email from new Au pair website so i decided to mail you .I will like you to be my
Aupair/Nanny for my Daugther who will be 3 years old next month.My Husband Divorced away 2 years ago so
i need someone like you to take good care of her..I will be paying you $2,000 every 2 weeks.
Have you ever traveled outside your home country before?
Have you much experience working with kid’s ?
Do you have a qualification ?
which country are from ?
As we live in the countryside it can be quiet ?
Do you smoke ?
Do you drink ?
Can you help with
housework ?
Do you have brothers and sisters ?
Where did you gain your experience ?
Do you like pets ?
Do you have a driving license ?
Do you mind doing some cooking ?
What are your interests ?
Do you have a boyfriend / girlfriend ?
Sometimes the kids cousins come to visit.. do you mind having to
mind extra children occasionally ?
How many children would you feel comfortable with ?
Can you help with housework ?
Can you help with shopping?
How would you discipline a child?
And note that you will be the one to pay for your flight ticket .I can shoulder to pay for the flight but have been
scam so many times, But i will handle the visa, working permit and the United state Tax clearance.Kindly get
back to me if you are interested............get back to my private mail box...

Best Regards to you and your Family.

Mrs Roberta
ChristinaG
ChristinaG
Au Pair Newbie
Au Pair Newbie

Female
Number of posts : 1
Country,City : Putzbrunn
Job : just passed my final exams at high school
Nationality : German
Registration date : 2008-11-25

Back to top Go down

Real offer or fake offer? Am I being scammed?! Please help! Empty scammers

Post  Jord Tue 02 Dec 2008, 8:43 am

Hi Christina,

I have received messages like this before. I wouldnt trust them, its better to be safe than sorry. She wrote that she got your e-mail from a friend that is on newaupair.com, if she doesnt have a profile and isnt on the site than I would guess something is weird about it. Also she doesnt seem to talk like an american living in the US, when I read the letter I deffinatly got a bad feeling from it. Whenever someone offers so much money its hard to believe its real.

I use to be on a site called greataupair.com, but I got weird e-mails all the time when I was on there, so I ended my membership. One time I got a letter from a guy claiming to be a doctor living in London England. He offered me $2000 dollars a month (which is a very high amount to pay an au piar) I didnt know if it was real or not because it was the first time I ever got an offer like that. I wrote him back just asking if he could tell me more and maybe send me some pictures of his family. When he wrote me back all he said was if I was interested to just contact his tarvel agency to get all the arrangements figured out. Thats when I knew it was a scam, they just want you to end up sending them money. You think you are talking to a travel agency and they want you to pay them for the ticket and stuff but its just going into their pockets. sometimes they seem pushy and dont want to really talk, they just want to scam you.
I havent had any problems myself on newaupair.com, but you just need to watch out. Only talk to the ones that have a profile, and ask a ton of questions. Trust your feelings. If you dont have a good feeling about something, or you think it sounds strange......go with your gut feeling and dont trust it.

So just be careful. I wouldnt trust any e-mails like this one. like I said before its better for you to be safe. there are a lot of nice families out there, and you will find the perfect one soon.

Hope this helps!
Jordan
Jord
Jord
Au Pair Newbie
Au Pair Newbie

Female
Number of posts : 8
Country,City : U.S.A
Job : student
Nationality : american
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Back to top Go down

Real offer or fake offer? Am I being scammed?! Please help! Empty Re: Real offer or fake offer? Am I being scammed?! Please help!

Post  rosy92 Sun 29 Nov 2009, 11:21 pm

I'm quite sure that isn't real. First of all, her English is very bad, which you wouldn't expect from someone living in America. The other thing is that I saw that exact list of questions on a website. The list was saying that it was a scam if they didn't ask you those questions, so I think she is trying to make it look like she's not a scammer. (near the bottom of this page) http://www.ouraupair.com/info.php?case=useful-information-aupair. Also, like Jord said, she should have an account on the site.

Remember, there are lots of opportunities out there, and its not worth endangering yourself to go after this one.

Best of luck!
-Rosy
rosy92
rosy92
Au Pair Newbie
Au Pair Newbie

Female
Number of posts : 1
Country,City : Madison, USA
Job : Want to be an au pair
Nationality : American
Registration date : 2009-11-29

Back to top Go down

Real offer or fake offer? Am I being scammed?! Please help! Empty Re: Real offer or fake offer? Am I being scammed?! Please help!

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down